April 26, 2018
Urban Futures: Designing New Commercial/Mixed-Use Projects in Historic Cities
Architectural Record will present a symposium on three new mixed-use projects in Boston.
Moderated by Record editor-in-chief Cathleen McGuigan, the panelists will explore the design of large-scale developments that incorporate the challenges of creating new urban hubs in the context of historic Boston.
5:30 PM - 6:00 PM
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
7:30 PM - 8:15 PM
Katie Faulkner, AIA, LEED AP
President / Founding Principal
Michael Liu, AIA, NCARB
Principal / Vice President
The Architectural Team
Principal, Director of Urban Design
- The challenge of creating a high level of detail on the Cambridge Gateway building façade, given the immense scale of the project
- The resilience strategies deployed at Clippership Wharf, given its proximity to the water
- How the architects of Cambridge Crossing are creating a cohesive design vision across 20 blocks, 10 acres of green space, and a new MBTA station
- The structural challenges of trying to stack various programs (retail, residential, parking, office, etc.) in one building
- How massive new developments plan for the amount of pressure they are putting on aging infrastructure and resources in a historic city such as Boston
The Exchange Conference Center
212 Northern Ave.
Boston, MA 02210